Thursday, December 6, 2007

San Diego Landscape Miniature - SOLD

Click image to enlarge.
Size: 8" w x 6" h
Medium: Oils on canvas board.



Most of us have been perplexed at times over what to give a special person in our lives for Christmas. Something different. Something special. I have a friend who is so good at finding the most unusual and fun gifts for each person in her life, that I have often thought she could have a second career as a personal shopper. She thought of a very personal and unique gift for this person in her life. Why does it belong on my art blog? Because her idea was for me to paint a small canvas, incorporating his several San Diego homes in an abstracted style and that would be small enough to stand on his desktop.

I made many different sketches of how this might look and sent her some. Then we met in my studio over coffee, Christmas music and goodies to choose and then refine her favorite. Next, I transferred the sketch to the 6" x 8" canvas, mixed the colors, gave her a brush and set her to painting. My idea was that she would paint some parts and also add her signature to the finished piece for an added special touch. My favorite part of the painting is one of the areas she painted. It is the 2-toned, green triangle shape in the center of the painting. It represents a coastal estuary.

This project was so much fun from start to finish, that I started one for someone on my birthday gift-list.

No comments: