Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mid-Century Modern Harbor

Click image to enlarge.  Click title for more views.
Size: 30x48x1.5
Medium: Oils
Dated:  9/18/2011

                          

A funny thing happened on the way to this painting.  After the last two auction sales two people contacted me to see whether I had any more like the last two paintings.  I didn't.  They asked whether I could paint something similar.  I explained that never works out very well with abstract art.  I WISH it were not so and am very appreciative of the interest.   But since it doesn't allow the new painting its own evolution, a struggle develops between what the buyer wants and the direction the painting is naturally taking.   

Of course I found myself attempting it anyway, as usual.   And as usual, it was not working out.  The painting was a long challenge and in the end it turned out quite different from Harbor, its model.
Although I liked it ultimately, my guess is that the potential buyer won't.  We'll see.   And oddly, 30x48 to be a popular size in spite of the outrageous shipping charges.

No comments: